POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 03:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 221 to 230 of 465)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 13 Jan 2011 01:28:23
Message: <4d2e9b87$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:07:50 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

>  It means, "We would like to encourage you to do
> something specifically religious, not not just religious, but specific
> to a specific 'set' of religions, since some don't."

No, really, it doesn't.  At least not to me.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jan 2011 04:49:23
Message: <4d2ecaa3$1@news.povray.org>
>> The distinction you're looking for is between eukaryotes and
>> non-eukaryotes.
>>
> Uh, yeah. Couldn't think of the proper term though. But, the rest is
> correct. If you don't have excess resources to waste on messing with
> extra baggage, you don't live long if you have it. If you do have the
> "power plants", you can afford to waste more space in the genome on
> things that don't work, duplicate results, etc.

>> I'm not sure I actually agree with this assessment.
>>
> http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/12/how_to_afford_a_big_sloppy_gen.php
>
> As to the cite for prokaryotes not having as many copy errors, I think
> it would be more accurate to say, "They don't *preserve* as many." If
> they did, they would have way more junk DNA, which is precisely what
> they can't afford to have laying around in the first place. The actual
> number of such errors that happen is likely the same, but, when it comes
> to costs, if you can't afford them, you don't see those copied chunks
> sticking around long.

I think we need to distinguish between DNA that isn't used for anything,
and DNA which actually produces proteins, but they don't do anything
really useful.

Just having a sequence in your genome doesn't really cost that much.
Synthesizing it into a protein is much more expensive.

It wouldn't surprise me if non-eukaryotes have fewer genes turned on,
and possibly smaller genomes, but I doubt that they have radically
"cleaner" genomes.

Post a reply to this message