POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A somewhat large number Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  A somewhat large number (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Warp
Subject: A somewhat large number
Date: 7 Jan 2011 07:15:44
Message: <4d2703f0@news.povray.org>
I read something interesting about the so-called Graham's number.

  The number is a well-defined finite integer which is used in a serious
proof of a mathematical problem, so it's not an artificially created one
(in other words, the number came up when estimating the upper bound of
that mathematical problem).

  The number is so large that the entire observable universe would not be
large enough to write it down, even if each written digit has the size of
one Planck volume.

  Moreover, the amount of digits in Graham's number is so large, that the
entire observable universe is not big enough to likewise write down this
amount.

  Even the amount of digits in this amount is likewise too large.

  The amount of such recursions you need to do before you get to a number
which would fit in the observable universe (which is obviously a finite
amount because the number is a finite integer) is so large that this amount
wouldn't fit inside the observable universe.

  A somewhat large number indeed.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    I read something interesting about the so-called Graham's number.
>
>    A somewhat large number indeed.

Required XKCD quote: http://xkcd.com/207/

Post a reply to this message

> I read something interesting about the so-called Graham's number.
>
>   The number is a well-defined finite integer which is used in a serious
> proof of a mathematical problem, so it's not an artificially created one
> (in other words, the number came up when estimating the upper bound of
> that mathematical problem).
>
>   The number is so large that the entire observable universe would not be
> large enough to write it down, even if each written digit has the size of
> one Planck volume.
>
>   Moreover, the amount of digits in Graham's number is so large, that the
> entire observable universe is not big enough to likewise write down this
> amount.
>
>   Even the amount of digits in this amount is likewise too large.
>
>   The amount of such recursions you need to do before you get to a number
> which would fit in the observable universe (which is obviously a finite
> amount because the number is a finite integer) is so large that this amount
> wouldn't fit inside the observable universe.
>
>   A somewhat large number indeed.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

"Graham's number bottles of beer on the wall, Graham's number bottles of beer,
take one down - pass it around..."

C'mon everyone sing now!   ;-)

Best Regards,
Mike C.