POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am convinced... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  I am convinced... (Message 1 to 10 of 43)
From: Darren New
Subject: I am convinced...
Date: 20 Dec 2010 12:53:07
Message: <4d0f9803$1@news.povray.org>
that traditional OSes hold back the more sophisticated (as in, far from
machine language) languages.

http://www.artima.com/lejava/articles/azul_pauseless_gc.html

Traditional file system interfaces probably do too. For example, if you
wanted something like a virus scanner that was watching your executables, I
suspect that "scan the file when it gets passed to exec()" is probably a
much more common implementation than "scan each block between the time it is
paged in and the time the code branches to it", for example.  (Indeed, I
don't know how you'd even do that latter on Linux or Windows or whatever.)

It's interesting that this sort of stuff is starting to get to the point
where people will be willing to break with compatibility at some level.
Phones, game consoles, set-top boxes, and eventually probably "enterprise"
or "cloud" type servers will all be willing to consider a different
operating system that puts limits on compatibility with previous languages
and libraries.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: