POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am convinced... : Re: I am convinced... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am convinced...
From: Warp
Date: 20 Dec 2010 16:43:36
Message: <4d0fce08@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > The OS should be designed in such way that it's just not possible.

> The problem is people, really. You put in code that says "don't accept
> executables." Then you put in code that says "Hey, you downloaded this, do
> you really want to run it?" Then you put in code that says "Don't accept
> executables inside zip files."

> If it went far enough, people would send out "here's a zip file with the
> password xyz. Unpack it with that password, rename hello.jpg to hello.exe,
> and run it to get an important message from your bank" and someone would do it.

  Didn't seem to be such a problem in the unix world. And even if that
kind of social engineering caused someone to execute a program they
received by email, it would still be limited to that user's account.
The system itself and other users would be safe. It's a whole different
mentality. It's hard to spread viruses like that.

--
                                                          - Warp