POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vector flood fill? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Vector flood fill? (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Darren New
Subject: Vector flood fill?
Date: 15 Nov 2010 01:23:22
Message: <4ce0d1da$1@news.povray.org>
Say you have something like this, as a list of endpoints, not as a raster:

http://www.puz.com/sw/amorphous/theory/amz1.jpg

Any idea how one would go about finding the paths amongst this? I.e., given
just the endpoints of the line segments as floats, and without rasterizing
it, how would you find your way from any point in the maze to any other point?

In a raster-based maze, you can just flood fill out from your goal,
incrementing the distance for each step, and then trace back along
descending distances. (I.e., use a flood-fill to set the value in each room
to be the distance to the exit, then always turn towards lower numbers.)

But that technique assumes you have a fixed set of positions to test.

You could rasterize this, perhaps at very high resolution or something,
staying away from the walls by some number of pixels, and then go from
there, but that seems even more overkill than generating the thing in the
first place.

I'm thinking you could probably triangulate all the areas between verticies.
I.e., build a list of triangles between verticies that don't contain any
other verticies, and then use the center of each triangle or something to
represent the "cells", then flood-fill from there as appropriate. Does that
sound like it would work out?  It sounds like a lot of brute-force to find
those triangles given nothing but the segment endpoints.  I wonder if you
could build the maze that way in the first place, plopping down a bunch of
randomish triangles and *then* drawing edges. Hmmmm...

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

> I'm thinking you could probably triangulate all the areas between
 > verticies. I.e., build a list of triangles between verticies that don't
 > contain any other verticies, and then use the center of each triangle or
 > something to represent the "cells", then flood-fill from there as
 > appropriate. Does that sound like it would work out? It sounds like a
 > lot of brute-force to find those triangles given nothing but the segment
 > endpoints. I wonder if you could build the maze that way in the first
 > place, plopping down a bunch of randomish triangles and *then* drawing
 > edges. Hmmmm...

That's how to do it. If you turn the wall line segments into loops, You
can treat the maze like a complicated polygon and triangulate it as
such. It's not too hard to do yourself, but there's also libraries that
do it for you. Then just pathfind the resulting mesh.

  - Slime

Post a reply to this message

> Say you have something like this, as a list of endpoints, not as a raster:
>
> http://www.puz.com/sw/amorphous/theory/amz1.jpg
>
> Any idea how one would go about finding the paths amongst this? I.e.,
> given just the endpoints of the line segments as floats, and without
> rasterizing it, how would you find your way from any point in the maze
> to any other point?

Took me some time to realize you were supposed to find the way in the
background.

> In a raster-based maze, you can just flood fill out from your goal,
> incrementing the distance for each step, and then trace back along
> descending distances. (I.e., use a flood-fill to set the value in each
> room to be the distance to the exit, then always turn towards lower
> numbers.)
>
> But that technique assumes you have a fixed set of positions to test.
>
> You could rasterize this, perhaps at very high resolution or something,
> staying away from the walls by some number of pixels, and then go from
> there, but that seems even more overkill than generating the thing in
> the first place.
>
> I'm thinking you could probably triangulate all the areas between
> verticies. I.e., build a list of triangles between verticies that don't
> contain any other verticies, and then use the center of each triangle or
> something to represent the "cells", then flood-fill from there as
> appropriate. Does that sound like it would work out? It sounds like a
> lot of brute-force to find those triangles given nothing but the segment
> endpoints. I wonder if you could build the maze that way in the first
> place, plopping down a bunch of randomish triangles and *then* drawing
> edges. Hmmmm...

Can't you use the fact that the walls separate in two sets (see attach).
E.g. by using that every triangle visited by your path contains 2 blue
and one red vertex (or vice versa).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'amz1.jpg' (321 KB)