POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  An observation (Message 88 to 97 of 107)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: An observation
Date: 3 Nov 2010 16:04:29
Message: <4cd1c04d@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> I'll never forget the time I used an ATM machine, and as it was
> processing the transaction I hears several of the characteristic IE link
> click sounds as it finished up.. that was a bit worrying.

Many ATMs are just running a web browser with appropriate plug-ins for
running the hardware. It's much easier to add new features to 100,000
machines that way than it is to go around with secure storage operated by a
trained technician updating the machines.  I.e., for all the reasons any
other business creates an intranet instead of a desktop app.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

On 03/11/2010 08:04 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> I'll never forget the time I used an ATM machine, and as it was
>> processing the transaction I hears several of the characteristic IE
>> link click sounds as it finished up.. that was a bit worrying.
>
> Many ATMs are just running a web browser with appropriate plug-ins for
> running the hardware. It's much easier to add new features to 100,000
> machines that way than it is to go around with secure storage operated
> by a trained technician updating the machines. I.e., for all the reasons
> any other business creates an intranet instead of a desktop app.

...so what you're saying is that many ATMs are trivially hackable?

Post a reply to this message