POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Nov 2010 05:18:49
Message: <4cd27a79$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/11/2010 09:59, Invisible a écrit :
> ...so what you're saying is that many ATMs are trivially hackable?

That would be illegal (to crack an ATM), so it cannot happen.

You are also assuming the ATM is directly on the internet... I hope they
are just on a private network with better protection.

For instance, the train ticket vending machine of my country used to be
connected to the mainframe (or whatever that be, aka the mother system)
via an X.25 connection. So, to connect to it to crack it, you would have
needed to know its address (and it's far longer than 4 numbers ranging
from 0 to 255), get an X.25 access yourself and hope it was not in a
closed-group than your port as no chance to be in... Would you have been
successful, the network operator would have got evidence against your
port... not that you cannot have do it on a trojan-ed system.

X.25 access being soon to be decommissioned (you cannot get new one, old
ones are to be closed soon) by the main telecom operator here.