POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Incomprehensible Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Incomprehensible (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Invisible
Subject: Incomprehensible
Date: 14 Oct 2010 10:02:32
Message: <4cb70d78$1@news.povray.org>
I just finished reading this:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mb566/papers/tacc-hs09.pdf

It's a very cool paper and everything. Some very interesting ideas in
there. The only problem is... large chunks of it are utterly beyond my
comprehension. For example, there are several figures which consist
entirely of bizarre symbols, hitherto unknown. And the body text uses
several words in a way that clearly indicates that they are technical
terms rather than just plain English, but I have no idea what the
meaning of these terms might be.

The fact that all this notation and jargon is casually banded about
without the merest hint of an explanation suggests that it's the
standard "well-known" language for some subject area or other (as
opposed to something the authors came up with themselves). Does anybody
have any clue what that subject area might be? (And where I can go read
about it?)

Post a reply to this message

> It's a very cool paper and everything. Some very interesting ideas in
> there. The only problem is... large chunks of it are utterly beyond my
> comprehension. For example, there are several figures which consist
> entirely of bizarre symbols, hitherto unknown. And the body text uses
> several words in a way that clearly indicates that they are technical
> terms rather than just plain English, but I have no idea what the
> meaning of these terms might be.
>
> The fact that all this notation and jargon is casually banded about
> without the merest hint of an explanation suggests that it's the
> standard "well-known" language for some subject area or other (as
> opposed to something the authors came up with themselves). Does anybody
> have any clue what that subject area might be? (And where I can go read
> about it?)

you should be glad Simon is not talking about category theory. :P

The "weird" syntax seems to come from logic, propositional logic or
logic of predicates, I don't remember.  Type theory is a branch of
Logic, of course.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

> The "weird" syntax seems to come from logic, propositional logic or
> logic of predicates, I don't remember.

Mmm, OK.

> Type theory is a branch of Logic, of course.

Really? That's weird...

Post a reply to this message