POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Incomprehensible : Incomprehensible Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Incomprehensible
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Oct 2010 10:02:32
Message: <4cb70d78$1@news.povray.org>
I just finished reading this:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mb566/papers/tacc-hs09.pdf

It's a very cool paper and everything. Some very interesting ideas in
there. The only problem is... large chunks of it are utterly beyond my
comprehension. For example, there are several figures which consist
entirely of bizarre symbols, hitherto unknown. And the body text uses
several words in a way that clearly indicates that they are technical
terms rather than just plain English, but I have no idea what the
meaning of these terms might be.

The fact that all this notation and jargon is casually banded about
without the merest hint of an explanation suggests that it's the
standard "well-known" language for some subject area or other (as
opposed to something the authors came up with themselves). Does anybody
have any clue what that subject area might be? (And where I can go read
about it?)