POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CSS can be fun Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  CSS can be fun (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: CSS can be fun
Date: 21 Sep 2010 15:29:53
Message: <4c9907b1$1@news.povray.org>
>> I have no idea whether the drop shadows work now. I don't even remember
>> the property names...
>>
> It does... for some browsers.
> And round corners too... also for some.

Woo! Yay for standards and cross-platform interoperability. :-S

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: nemesis
Date: 21 Sep 2010 17:32:08
Message: <4c992458$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escreveu:
>>> I'm particularly pleased with how I managed to insert chevrons
>>> *between* the links, but not before or after them. That look some
>>> figuring out.
>>
>> I was thinking about how you managed that one.
>
>> Guess I'm missing latest CSS goodies, cause I've not heard of "content:"
>> before...
>
> I read about the "content:" property way, waaaaaay back in 1998 or so.

damn, I'm truly behind the times... :p

ok, I'm just unaware of the complete spec... I've got the box model
pretty worked out though... :)

> Of course, reading about this, I was very excited, and immediately went
> to try it out. But, as it turns out, neither Netscape nor IE took any
> notice of these properties at all. I promptly forgot all about them,
> since they don't work.
>
> (In a similar vein, it's supposed to be possible to add drop shadows to
> text and so on. That didn't work either.)

weirdly enough, I'm aware of latest CSS goodies like drop shadows,
transitions, gradients, border-radius and so on.  Since they are still
experimental, web browsers tend to have them available only via prefixes
such as -moz-border-radius or -webkit-border-radius... won't cause any
problem to browsers unaware of them because html-related techs were
build around the idea to simply ignore tags and properties they don't
understand.

Imagine if they used a static type system like in haskell:  "This page
can't be shown:  a type mismatch has occurred!" :)

> Fast forward 10 years, and it seems these funky features are actually
> *implemented* now. (I didn't bother to check whether IE supports it -
> mainly since I don't give a damn.)

yeah, what percentage of your 2 blog readers would possibly be using IE?...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

>> I read about the "content:" property way, waaaaaay back in 1998 or so.
>
> damn, I'm truly behind the times... :p
>
> ok, I'm just unaware of the complete spec... I've got the box model
> pretty worked out though... :)

When I was at uni, I'd sit and read the spec from cover to cover. (Even
though most of it doesn't actually make sense.) I learned loads of cool
stuff... and then discovered that most of it has no relationship to reality.

>> (In a similar vein, it's supposed to be possible to add drop shadows
>> to text and so on. That didn't work either.)
>
> weirdly enough, I'm aware of latest CSS goodies like drop shadows,
> transitions, gradients, border-radius and so on. Since they are still
> experimental, web browsers tend to have them available only via prefixes
> such as -moz-border-radius or -webkit-border-radius... won't cause any
> problem to browsers unaware of them because html-related techs were
> build around the idea to simply ignore tags and properties they don't
> understand.

So some of these actually work now?

> Imagine if they used a static type system like in haskell: "This page
> can't be shown: a type mismatch has occurred!" :)

Yeah, whatever. It's perfectly possible to avoid this in Haskell (or
just about any other Turing-complete language). It isn't even especially
difficult. :-P

>> Fast forward 10 years, and it seems these funky features are actually
>> *implemented* now. (I didn't bother to check whether IE supports it -
>> mainly since I don't give a damn.)
>
> yeah, what percentage of your 2 blog readers would possibly be using IE?...

Maybe if enough web pages are broken in IE, people will start asking why
MS produces such a defective product. (But I doubt it...)

Post a reply to this message

And lo On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:03:40 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

>> yeah, what percentage of your 2 blog readers would possibly be using
>> IE?...

Ow!

> Maybe if enough web pages are broken in IE, people will start asking why
> MS produces such a defective product. (But I doubt it...)

Nah they'd just wonder why you can't write a proper web site like everyone
else.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com