POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : But WHY is the run gone??!?! Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  But WHY is the run gone??!?! (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Invisible
Subject: But WHY is the run gone??!?!
Date: 15 Sep 2010 05:53:01
Message: <4c90977d$1@news.povray.org>
Will: How did Jack get off the island?

Gibbs: Well, I'll tell ye. He waded out into the shallows and stood
there motionless for three days and three nights, 'til all manner o' sea
creature 'came /acclimeted/ to his presence. Then on the third day, he
*roped* himself a couple of sea turtles, and *lashed* them together to
make a raft!

Will: He roped a couple of sea turtles?

Gibbs: Aye, /sea turtles/!

Will: ...what did he use for rope?

Gibbs: ........er.......

Great story, right up until that point. :-P

Come to think of it...

Jack: No! Not good! Stop! What are you doing? You've burnt all the
food... the shade... the rum!

Elizabeth: Yes, the rum is gone.

Jack: Why is... the rum gone?

Elizabeth: One, because it is a foul drink that turns even decent men
into complete scoundrels. Two, that signal is over a thousand feet high.
The *entire* Royal Navy is out looking for me! Do you think that there's
even the /slightest chance/ that they won't see it?

Jack: But... why is the rum gone?!

More to the point... You're stranded on a desert island. Where the ****
did you get fire from?! Did Elizabeth just happen to have a box of
matches in her pocket or something? :-P

Post a reply to this message

> did you get fire from?! Did Elizabeth just happen to have a box of
> matches in her pocket or something? :-P

Look up "bow drill"

Post a reply to this message

>> More to the point... You're stranded on a desert island. Where the
>> **** did you get fire from?! Did Elizabeth just happen to have a box
>> of matches in her pocket or something? :-P
>
> Look up "bow drill"

And we're back to "what did he use for rope"? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>>> More to the point... You're stranded on a desert island. Where the
>>> **** did you get fire from?! Did Elizabeth just happen to have a box
>>> of matches in her pocket or something? :-P
>>
>> Look up "bow drill"
>
> And we're back to "what did he use for rope"? ;-)

A vine or reed or something will suffice, it only needs to be strong enough
to rotate the "drill" without snapping.

Post a reply to this message

>> And we're back to "what did he use for rope"? ;-)
>
> A vine or reed or something will suffice, it only needs to be strong
> enough to rotate the "drill" without snapping.

Looks like the only thing available is palm leaves.

Which makes you wonder - the night before they had a huge bonfire,
right? So what did they fuel that with? And how did they light it?

Actually, my dad just pointed out that Jack still has his pistol with
him, which presumably has a flint...

Post a reply to this message

> >> And we're back to "what did he use for rope"? ;-)
> >
> > A vine or reed or something will suffice, it only needs to be strong
> > enough to rotate the "drill" without snapping.
>
> Looks like the only thing available is palm leaves.

He's got jewellery on leather thongs, hasn't he? You could probably even do it
with a strip of cloth if you knew what you were doing.

> Which makes you wonder - the night before they had a huge bonfire,
> right? So what did they fuel that with? And how did they light it?

Wood from the crates in the rum stash? Wood from the large number of trees on
the island? Driftwood?

To be honest, in terms of plot holes, these movies have bigger fish to fry.
(I still love them tho ;)

Post a reply to this message