POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Neural malfunction Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Neural malfunction (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Invisible
Subject: Neural malfunction
Date: 10 Aug 2010 04:20:52
Message: <4c610be4$1@news.povray.org>
OK people, it's Internet diagnosis time!

So yesterday I was feeling fine. And then around 3PM, I started to
develop a headache. Now I should point out that for me, a headache is a
very rare event. And I still have *no idea* what caused this one. It's
conspicuous that yesterday was my first day back at work after a week
off, but other than that I can't think of anything unusual that might
have been the cause.

Initially my eyes just felt sore, but that progressed to a stabbing pain
in my eyes until the whole front of my skull felt like it was being
crushed. I thought perhaps I was dehydrated, but no amount of drinking
fixed it. I tried closing my eyes to rest them, but that did nothing
either. And before I left work, I ate a bunch of painkillers - which
also did nothing. (!)

I don't know how I drove home. I'm sitting behind the wheel rubbing my
head and just wishing I could crawl into bed and quietly die. Obviously,
I got stuck behind every possible slow-moving vehicle, just to prolong
my suffering as long as humanly possible. (I especially remember the
2-mile long queue behind a tractor doing 20 MPH.)

My plan was to get home, eat something (I'm quite hungry by now) and go
to bed. Naturally, given my blatently obvious distress, my mother
refused to lift a finger to help me prepair food and did everything in
her power to slow the process down as much as possible to further
prolong the agony.

This is where things get really weird. I ate a bunch of painkillers over
an hour ago, and they still haven't had any effect. But as soon as I
started eating food, within literally *minutes* my headache almost
completely vanished. WTF is *that* about?!

Well anyway, I missed my dance class last night (and you *know* it's
serious if _I_ miss dancing for /anything/). Unfortunately, even after a
good meal, I still felt too nausious for jiggling around a dancefloor.
But by a bit later in the evening, I felt perfectly fine.

I still don't know WTF the problem was in the first place... very weird!

Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?

Post a reply to this message

> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?

Possibly hypoglycaemia.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?
>
> Possibly hypoglycaemia.

That was my thought too. However, it seems hypoglycaemia produces a wide
range of symptons, and I only had one of them.

Also... why the **** would I suddenly have hypoglycaemia one day? It's
not as if I've just had a blood transfusion or I haven't eaten for
months or anything...

Post a reply to this message

> This is where things get really weird. I ate a bunch of painkillers over
> an hour ago, and they still haven't had any effect. But as soon as I
> started eating food, within literally *minutes* my headache almost
> completely vanished. WTF is *that* about?!
>
> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?

Sounds like the migraines I get that are triggered by (and corrected by
fixing) my poor sleep/eating habits.  They can also be triggered by
sudden change in caffeine level in body.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

>> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?

Will random guesses do as well? :-)

> Possibly hypoglycaemia.

Was my first thought, too. Though it doesn't fit the symptoms I
experienced myself in such cases, but maybe that's just "personal style".

Post a reply to this message

On 10/08/2010 10:57 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> On 10/08/2010 9:20 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?
>>
>> Possibly hypoglycaemia.
>
> That was my thought too. However, it seems hypoglycaemia produces a wide
> range of symptons, and I only had one of them.

It is not obligatory to have all the symptoms. ;-)

> Also... why the **** would I suddenly have hypoglycaemia one day? It's
> not as if I've just had a blood transfusion or I haven't eaten for
> months or anything...

It is a judgement from One on High for swearing with asterisks. How the
feck would I know? :-P
Maybe you are developing Humiglumitis.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> This is where things get really weird. I ate a bunch of painkillers over
>> an hour ago, and they still haven't had any effect. But as soon as I
>> started eating food, within literally *minutes* my headache almost
>> completely vanished. WTF is *that* about?!
>>
>> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?
>
> Sounds like the migraines I get that are triggered by (and corrected by
> fixing) my poor sleep/eating habits.  They can also be triggered by
> sudden change in caffeine level in body.

As far as I can tell, there has been no change in my sleep pattern,
eating habits, or the amount of caffine I'm taking.

Perhaps I drank less tea on Monday. However, the "tea" that I drink
might more accurately be described as "warm milky sugar-syrup with trace
amounts of leaf tannins". Surely the amount of caffine it contains is
negligable. And besides, I tried drinking more and it had no effect. Nor
have I ever suffered tea withdrawal symtoms before.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Any unsubstantiated theories? Wild speculation? Baseless diagnosis?
>
> Will random guesses do as well? :-)

Sure, why not?

>> Possibly hypoglycaemia.
>
> Was my first thought, too. Though it doesn't fit the symptoms I
> experienced myself in such cases, but maybe that's just "personal style".

I gather one of the other symptons is nausia, which seems kind of ironic
given that the best cure is apparently to eat something...

Post a reply to this message

>> That was my thought too. However, it seems hypoglycaemia produces a wide
>> range of symptons, and I only had one of them.
>
> It is not obligatory to have all the symptoms. ;-)

Sure. But only one of them? That's kind of improbable.

>> Also... why the **** would I suddenly have hypoglycaemia one day? It's
>> not as if I've just had a blood transfusion or I haven't eaten for
>> months or anything...
>
> It is a judgement from One on High for swearing with asterisks.

Oh goodie...

Post a reply to this message

> So yesterday I was feeling fine. And then around 3PM, I started to develop
> a headache. Now I should point out that for me, a headache is a very rare
> event. And I still have *no idea* what caused this one. It's conspicuous
> that yesterday was my first day back at work after a week off,

I pretty much only get headaches on the first day back at work after some
time off.  I just put it down to suddenly having to concentrate for 8 hours
a day without moving about much, and didn't really think any more about it.