POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : P != NP ? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  P != NP ? (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: P != NP ?
Date: 8 Aug 2010 23:50:46
Message: <4c5f7b16$1@news.povray.org>
I'm sure you've already heard about this if you've been anywhere near
the internet today, but there's apparently a new claim at a proof of
P!=NP which at least looks pretty worth taking seriously:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~gwoegi/P-versus-NP/Deolalikar.pdf

It'll be interesting to hear what people have to say about it as they
have time to review it in detail.  At worst case, it seems there'll be
an interesting failure at a proof, which is still something sort of cool
IMHO.

Post a reply to this message

Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:
> I'm sure you've already heard about this if you've been anywhere near
> the internet today, but there's apparently a new claim at a proof of
> P!=NP which at least looks pretty worth taking seriously:

> http://www.win.tue.nl/~gwoegi/P-versus-NP/Deolalikar.pdf

> It'll be interesting to hear what people have to say about it as they
> have time to review it in detail.  At worst case, it seems there'll be
> an interesting failure at a proof, which is still something sort of cool
> IMHO.

  If the proof results to be correct, I think a *lot* of people out there
are going to sigh in relief (because an enormous amount of math and
practical computer code out there rely on the assumption that P != NP).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:
> It'll be interesting to hear what people have to say about it as they
> have time to review it in detail.

  You can find some preliminary opinions at these places:

http://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/a-proof-that-p-is-not-equal-to-np/
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1585850

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   You can find some preliminary opinions at these places:

...which leads, among other things, to

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=304

Apparently, any mathematical breakthrough not written using TeX is
probably bogus. Go figure.

(It's a good thing I write all my math using TeX, eh?)

Post a reply to this message