POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : P != NP ? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  P != NP ? (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: P != NP ?
Date: 10 Aug 2010 12:47:22
Message: <4c61829a$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> commonly used encryption algorithms which are believed to be NP-hard to

Diffie Hellman is based on discrete log. Isn't that NP?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 10 Aug 2010 13:02:54
Message: <4c61863e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> commonly used encryption algorithms which are believed to be NP-hard to
>
> Diffie Hellman is based on discrete log. Isn't that NP?

Yes, although not in the way that you mean.  It's trivially shown to be
in NP in the sense that many things are in NP which are not NP-hard (for
instance anything in P is also in NP).  Although that's a common
misconception, both discrete log and integer factorization are not
believed to be NP-hard problems.  Hence the worry that quantum computers
would break these cryptographic methods despite the face that very few
people believe that they'd be able to solve NP-complete problems in
polynomial time.

Post a reply to this message

>>> commonly used encryption algorithms which are believed to be NP-hard to
>>
>> Diffie Hellman is based on discrete log. Isn't that NP?
>>

> Yes, although not in the way that you mean.  It's trivially shown to be
> in NP in the sense that many things are in NP which are not NP-hard (for
> instance anything in P is also in NP).

Well, obviously that's what I meant. I just wasn't being pedantic.

> Although that's a common
> misconception, both discrete log and integer factorization are not
> believed to be NP-hard problems.

OK. That's what I wasn't sure of.  I thought discrete log was proven NP-hard.

So, no, I don't know of any crypto algorithms that depend on p!=np.