POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : P != NP ? : Re: P != NP ? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: P != NP ?
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Aug 2010 15:39:32
Message: <4c61aaf4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I imagine it can be done. I just don't imagine it's easy to come up with a
>> system like that, nor that it's easy to prove a mathematical problem is easy
>> with the key and NP-hard without.
>
>   One thing is certain: Creating a truly secure encryption system based on
> an NP-hard algorithm is far from trivial. For example, all of these are
> based on known NP-hard problems, yet can be cracked in a matter of weeks
> with some hundreds of computers:

Yeah. The basic problem is you *want* them to be crackable by someone with
the key.  It's easy to make a system that can't be broken. It's hard to make
a system that can't be broken *unless* you know some relatively small number
of bits.

NP-Hard isn't difficult. NP-Hard with a private/public key is difficult. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback