POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wireless in Canada Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Wireless in Canada (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Wireless in Canada
Date: 1 Aug 2010 16:49:09
Message: <4c55ddc5$1@news.povray.org>
Any Canadians listening in?  My daughter is off to start college at
McGill in the fall and I am trying to find the most cost effective
answer for her voice/data needs.  I figure I will pay for data in her
dorm room but am hoping to go wireless for voice.

My daughter's usage seems to strongly favor unlimited messaging. If I
was to convert her Verizon domestic plan to something usable in Canada,
I would have to add on a messaging package but would still have a
message and minutes cap.  So thinking of keeping that phone here and
buying one in Canada. Looking at Canadian voice plans I am wondering
what the natives prefer for budget conscious solutions. And what the
heck is 'Unlimited Social Networking'?

-Any tips would be appreciated - Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Any Canadians listening in?  My daughter is off to start college at
> McGill in the fall and I am trying to find the most cost effective
> answer for her voice/data needs.  I figure I will pay for data in her
> dorm room but am hoping to go wireless for voice.
>
> My daughter's usage seems to strongly favor unlimited messaging. If I
> was to convert her Verizon domestic plan to something usable in Canada,
> I would have to add on a messaging package but would still have a
> message and minutes cap.  So thinking of keeping that phone here and
> buying one in Canada. Looking at Canadian voice plans I am wondering
> what the natives prefer for budget conscious solutions. And what the
> heck is 'Unlimited Social Networking'?

That means that Facebook, Twitter, et al. usage doesn't count toward
your monthly "data" limit.

> -Any tips would be appreciated - Jim

My cell phone is part of a massive corporate plan so I have no idea what
the plans for common folk look like (most people I know say they cost
around $40-$50/month).

You seem to have done some homework, but here's what I can tell you:

The big three:
- Bell Mobility
- Rogers Wireless
- Telus Mobility

All offer similar CDMA and 3G networks.  Telus also has a Nextel-like
push-to-talk offering, but this is probably not what you are looking
for. Rogers also has a GSM network (Fido), if you are looking at buying
a phone she'll be able to use in Europe.

Blackberries and iPhones are available from all 3 providers.

All three are rated F by the BBB (Poor customer service, billing errors,
hidden or extra fees, difficult to break contracts, etc...) But Since
you are currently with Verizon, you should be in familiar waters (if the
stories I've heard are true).

The smaller providers:
- Koodo Mobile (Crappy phones, pre-paid plans, uses Telus' network)
- Virgin Mobile (Crappy phones, pre-paid plans, uses Bell's network)
- Solo Mobile (Crappy phones, pre-paid plans, uses Bell's network)

I've never heard of most of the other providers listed in the Wikipedia
page of cell phone providers in Canada, so they are either resellers
that piggy-back on one of the big 3 carriers, or not available in Quebec
(Wind Mobile, for example), due to more stringent consumer protection
laws and language requirements.

Hope this helps.