POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random Wondering #12896391223144489189 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Random Wondering #12896391223144489189 (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Random Wondering #12896391223144489189
Date: 30 Jul 2010 13:11:59
Message: <4c5307df$1@news.povray.org>
Why is it that songs that have the same four chord progression are
extremely popular?

http://sixfouronefive.blogspot.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-punk_chord_progression

http://laughingsquid.com/4-chord-song-by-axis-of-awesome/
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Random Wondering #12896391223144489189
Date: 30 Jul 2010 14:42:22
Message: <4c531d0e$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Why is it that songs that have the same four chord progression are
> extremely popular?

Because they can appeal to a very wide audience by making minimal
demands on the listener?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Jul 2010 06:54:04
Message: <4c5400cc$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Why is it that songs that have the same four chord progression are
> extremely popular?
>
> http://laughingsquid.com/4-chord-song-by-axis-of-awesome/

1. You're aware that there are only 12 possible notes in existence, right?

2. Which notes sound good together is based largely on the laws of
physics, which are unchainging. Ergo, there are only so many chord
progessions that sound good. And each one produces a different mood. So
if you want "ballad", there's only so many options to pick from.

3. Several of the songs featured here do *not* actually have the same
chord progression. It's just that the melody happens to *fit* this one
chord progression. E.g., Take On Me uses different chords, but if you
sing the melody over this chord sequence it just happens to work. Barbie
Girl has a _totally unrelated_ chord progession, but the 6-word rap line
they quoted fits just about any song imaginable.

The reason for #3 is unsurprising to anybody well-versed in music. For
example, the chords E minor, C major and A minor all differ by a single
note. If the melody happens to not contain the note that's different, in
principle it can work with either chord.

Occasionally you will in fact hear a new version or a remix of a song
where the chords are different but the words and melody remain the same,
and it gives it an entirely different feel. Sometimes merely changing
the bassline can do the same thing.

So there are 12 notes in the scale, each one can be major or minor, so
that ought to give you 24 possible chords. However, many, many of these
differ only very slightly from each other. Plus only 7 chords are
"available" at any one time, unless you start using complex modulations.

If you want popular chord progressions, we have:

- Combinations of Tonic, Dominant and Subdominant. These three chords
cover huge swathes of popular music. Obviously, with a mere 3 chords,
there are only so many combinations possible.

- Tonic, Submediant, Subdominant, Dominant (or, alternatively, Tonic,
Supertonic, Subdominant, Dominant). This covers 98% of the entire
musical output of the 1950s era. The rest of 12-bar blues (i.e., the
previous point).

- The chord progression you quoted is Tonic, Dominant, Submediant,
Subdominant. Again, quote popular for big ballads and stuff.

- In a minor key, Tonic, Submediant, Leading Tone is very popular,
especially for dance music.

- Another popular minor key dance move is Tonic, Submediant, Leading,
Mediant.

I hasten to add that most if not all *real* songs actually have more
chords than this, make use of multiple items from this list, have key
modulations and so forth.

...that answer your question?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/