POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random Wondering #12896391223144489189 : Re: Random Wondering #12896391223144489189 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random Wondering #12896391223144489189
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Jul 2010 09:03:04
Message: <4c541f08@news.povray.org>
>>>   Chords != notes.
>
>> Indeed. But chords are composed of notes. Pick 3 items from 12
>> possibilities and there aren't that many options available.
>
>   Many chords consist of more than 3 notes.
>
>   From 12 notes, there are 220 possible combinations of 3, and 495 possible
> combinations of 4 notes.

On the other hand, F F# G is one of those 220 possible combinations, and
that's not a sound you're ever likely to use very much of. The number of
combinations that sound vaguely melodious is quite a bit smaller
(although still fairly large).

>   The order in which the chords are played also can make a big difference,
> adding more possible combinations.

Well, that part is true enough. While technically it's still the same
chord, inversions (or holding some note other than the root note in the
bassline) can make a big difference to what the music sounds like.

>> Again true. However, the major and minor chords are vastly, vastly more
>> common than any of the others. Diminished chords are vanishingly rare.
>
>   Clearly you have never heard any jazz. ;)

Hehe. I don't like jazz. ;-) (I stop short of calling it "not music",
but you can understand why some people draw that conclusion...)

>> Suspended chords and 7th chords are just variations on either a major or
>> a minor chord (and usually you can replace such chords with simple
>> majors or minors without significantly altering the line of the chord
>> progression).
>
>   You lose a significant part of the auditory quality and richness of the
> composition.

Depends what it is. But sure, the embellishments are what make songs
with basically the same chords sound more individual and interesting.

>   Yes, drop all the special chords from the count simply because they are
> "rarely used".

Well, again it depends on what type of music you're talking about.
Baroque organ music contains a rather different selection of chords
compared to Now That's What I Call Music 1985.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/