POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : JCTI CCAT Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  JCTI CCAT (Message 31 to 40 of 48)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: JCTI CCAT
Date: 21 Jul 2010 18:34:54
Message: <4c47760e@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:14:30 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> Well, yes, his point is correct in this case because he's crafted a
>> small sample size that actually does bear out his assertion.
>
>   My point was that people tend to think that "the average IQ is 100"
> automatically implies that half of the people will be below that and the
> other half above it. That's obviously not the case. It depends on the
> actual distribution of the samples (iow. if the distribution is
> asymmetric around the average, then less than half of people will be on
> one side and the rest on the other).
>
>   It just sounded like this misconception was being touted in this
>   thread.

Oh, I see what you're saying - the distribution is actually more like 50%
of people fall into a range of 91-110 (if I remember correctly).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jul 2010 18:35:36
Message: <4c477638$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:11:34 -0700, Kevin Wampler wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Warp's done the same thing here as well - and in a small sample, sure,
>> I can prove that over 50% of people are of above average intelligence
>> as well by picking numbers that prove that.  That doesn't prove
>> anything with regards to a large population distribution, though.
>>

> Perhaps the difference is that Warp's making a theoretical point while
> you're making a practical one?

That well could be.

> It's certainly true in a theoretical
> sense that there can be distributions where the mean is different than
> the median even with many samples (which is what Warp is saying), but
> for the particular case of IQ this doesn't seem to be the case (which is
> what I think you're saying).
>
> Did I understand correctly?

I think so. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jul 2010 18:36:25
Message: <4c477669@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:26:49 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> well by picking numbers that prove that.
>
> The basis of the bell curve and normal distribution are random samples.
> By definition, if you pick samples to prove a point, it's not a random
> sample.

More or less my point. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 27 Jul 2010 14:42:54
Message: <4c4f28ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/20/2010 1:03 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> http://www.cerebrals.org/wp/?page_id=209
>
> Had to randomly guess for a few I couldn't figure out. Got 130.

I started rushing through the latter parts because I had no idea how
many questions it had and scored 131.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.07.2010 20:40, schrieb Mike Raiford:
> On 7/20/2010 1:03 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
>> http://www.cerebrals.org/wp/?page_id=209
>>
>> Had to randomly guess for a few I couldn't figure out. Got 130.
>

> I started rushing through the latter parts because I had no idea how
> many questions it had and scored 131.

Just for fun, I tried giving random answers right from the start: The
test ended after just a handful of items, with a score of 78.

Post a reply to this message

> Just for fun, I tried giving random answers right from the start: The
> test ended after just a handful of items, with a score of 78.

That wasn't very clever.

Post a reply to this message