POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feel the beat Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Feel the beat (Message 41 to 50 of 90)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Feel the beat
Date: 20 Jul 2010 07:40:46
Message: <4c458b3e@news.povray.org>
On 20/07/2010 11:55 AM, Invisible wrote:
> I wanted to see whether that's actually the best one to use, or whether
> there's something better.

Try the femoral artery. It is good for getting to know girls better. ;-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jul 2010 08:00:10
Message: <4c458fca$1@news.povray.org>
>>    You can't get brain damage from measuring your pulse.
>
> Not unless you cut an artery and time the spurts. ;-)

One...

T-t-too...

Thre..e...eeee....

*thud*

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jul 2010 08:01:09
Message: <4c459005@news.povray.org>
>> I wanted to see whether that's actually the best one to use, or whether
>> there's something better.
>
> Try the femoral artery. It is good for getting to know girls better. ;-)

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner! :-D

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jul 2010 08:18:23
Message: <4c45940f@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Try regular daily exercise.

Yeah, that would be a start...

Then again, I've reached the point now where I take up to 4 hours of
dance classes per week. (And 3 hours of that is Rock & Roll.) Obviously
[or perhaps not?] a one hour class isn't a continuous one hour workout.
You stand around waiting for whoever to sort out the next CD. You
practice a move through, stop, try it again, stop and try again. You
dance a combination of moves and then have a rest. Still, it's certainly
better than nothing.

The best part about dancing, of course, is that it's *fun*. It makes you
*want* to do it. And let's face it, if you enjoy doing something, you're
way more likely to keep doing it more and more often.

Still, unless I get to the point where I dance every single day [which
would probably be quite expensive], I think I probably am going to have
to do something else as well.

>   If you do this for at least 6 months, you'll notice how your rest pulse
> will start lowering as you get into better shape.

Part of the reason I bought this heart monitor was to see if I make any
improvement over time. (Although now I'm just not sure whether it
actually *works* or not...)

>   (For most optimal results, you would have to start also watching a bit
> what you eat. More proteins and fibers, less carbs, more plant fats and
> less animal fats.)

...so, *not* cheese on toast then?

Post a reply to this message

> Then again, I've reached the point now where I take up to 4 hours of
> dance classes per week. (And 3 hours of that is Rock & Roll.) Obviously
> [or perhaps not?] a one hour class isn't a continuous one hour workout.
> You stand around waiting for whoever to sort out the next CD. You
> practice a move through, stop, try it again, stop and try again. You
> dance a combination of moves and then have a rest. Still, it's certainly
> better than nothing.

  Sounds like much better than nothing, but if you really want to get into
better shape in a rational amount of time, you need that (about) 1 hour of
cardio 5 or 6 times a week (preferably 6).

  Walking is good exercise because it's easy to do even for someone who is
in bad shape, and doesn't require a lot of fitness to begin with. As long
as you walking pace is fast enough (you get a bit exhausted and break a
sweat) it's as good as going to the gym.

> >   (For most optimal results, you would have to start also watching a bit
> > what you eat. More proteins and fibers, less carbs, more plant fats and
> > less animal fats.)

> ...so, *not* cheese on toast then?

  Cheese is ok (lots of protein, no carbs), but of course in moderation,
as everything else. Toast is usually made of white bread, which has
staggering amounts of carbohydrates. If it's basically the *only* source
of carbs you have (ie. you don't eat candy and such), then it's ok, but
don't exaggerate.

  From your photos I don't think you are overweight, so you don't have to
watch so much your carb intake, as long as your diet is *balanced* and
healthy. Just don't go overboard. Eating candy and pastries all day long
is a bad idea no matter what your weight or fitness. (If nothing else, too
much sugar increases the risk of diabetes and caries, and via that indirectly
heart problems.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> On 20/07/2010 11:55 AM, Invisible wrote:
> > I wanted to see whether that's actually the best one to use, or whether
> > there's something better.

> Try the femoral artery. It is good for getting to know girls better. ;-)

  I envision the pick-up line: "Hey, can I palpate your pulse from your
femoral artery? For scientific purposes only."

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I envision the pick-up line: "Hey, can I palpate your pulse from your
> femoral artery? For scientific purposes only."

Hell man, if *that* worked, scientists would get laid all the time! ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> On 20/07/2010 11:55 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> I wanted to see whether that's actually the best one to use, or whether
>>> there's something better.
>
>> Try the femoral artery. It is good for getting to know girls better. ;-)
>
>    I envision the pick-up line: "Hey, can I palpate your pulse from your
> femoral artery? For scientific purposes only."

You missed out "It won't hurt much".

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> >    I envision the pick-up line: "Hey, can I palpate your pulse from your
> > femoral artery? For scientific purposes only."

> You missed out "It won't hurt much".

  Why would it hurt at all?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>     I envision the pick-up line: "Hey, can I palpate your pulse from your
>>> femoral artery? For scientific purposes only."
>
>> You missed out "It won't hurt much".
>
>    Why would it hurt at all?

I was thinking of it as a pressure point, not comfortable.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen