POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows XP Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Windows XP (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Invisible
Subject: Windows XP
Date: 15 Jul 2010 09:01:00
Message: <4c3f068c@news.povray.org>
OK, so M$ stopped selling Windows XP several years ago. Which begs the
question...

http://tinyurl.com/3x8z92q

...how is this possible?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Subject: Re: Windows XP
Date: 15 Jul 2010 09:13:08
Message: <4c3f0964$1@news.povray.org>
> OK, so M$ stopped selling Windows XP several years ago. Which begs the
> question...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3x8z92q
>
> ...how is this possible?

Same way this is possible:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-dash-detergent-unopened-1950s-promotional

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 Jul 2010 09:24:56
Message: <4c3f0c28$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> OK, so M$ stopped selling Windows XP several years ago. Which begs the
>> question...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3x8z92q
>>
>> ...how is this possible?
>
> Same way this is possible:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-dash-detergent-unopened-1950s-promotional

Not the same thing.

You're talking about *one* unit of product. I'm talking about a large
volume of product.

Finding somebody trying to privately sell one unit of something rare
isn't all that surprising. Finding a magor commercial retailler with
stock of a discontinued item *is* pretty damned surprising.

Post a reply to this message

> Finding somebody trying to privately sell one unit of something rare isn't
> all that surprising. Finding a magor commercial retailler with stock of a
> discontinued item *is* pretty damned surprising.

Sure, but it should be obvious how it is possible, they simply have not sold
as many copies as they originally bought!

Post a reply to this message

>> Finding a magor commercial retailler with
>> stock of a discontinued item *is* pretty damned surprising.
>
> Sure, but it should be obvious how it is possible, they simply have not
> sold as many copies as they originally bought!

In 2 years??!? o_O

How many did they buy??

It's like if they stopped cutting down trees, and 2 years later the
local shop was still selling timber. You'd start to wonder how...

Post a reply to this message

> It's like if they stopped cutting down trees, and 2 years later the local
> shop was still selling timber. You'd start to wonder how...

Maybe nobody wants to buy the timber anymore because there are two
generations of newer timber available for almost the same price?

Post a reply to this message

>> It's like if they stopped cutting down trees, and 2 years later the
>> local shop was still selling timber. You'd start to wonder how...
>
> Maybe nobody wants to buy the timber anymore because there are two
> generations of newer timber available for almost the same price?

Given the number of people screaming and wailing about "Vista sux", this
seems a very unlikely explanation.

Post a reply to this message