POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #13457681 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Random wonderings #13457681 (Message 1 to 10 of 59)
From: Invisible
Subject: Random wonderings #13457681
Date: 9 Jul 2010 11:51:41
Message: <4c37458d$1@news.povray.org>
Since it _is_ Friday and all...

volume be?

Where the heck do silent letters come from?

As I understand it, before the invention of the printing press, words
didn't have standard spellings. You just spell the word approximately
how it sounds. The first printers fixed the spelling of several words.
(E.g., "put" is spelt with a "U" because that's the letter that could be
printed most clearly. Nothing to do with phonetics.) This utterly fails
to explain why words like "knife" have a "K" in them. (!)

What the hell is the actual *point* of LinkedIn anyway?

Post a reply to this message