POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings #13457681 : Re: Random wonderings #13457681 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings #13457681
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 9 Jul 2010 15:01:41
Message: <4c377215$1@news.povray.org>
Le 09/07/2010 19:41, Orchid XP v8 nous fit lire :
> M_a_r_c wrote:

>> That is why bottom of the seas never is colder than 4°C
>
> Uh, I beg to differ. Actually I distinctly remember watching a TV
> program about this where they said the water was at something like -8°C,
> and is only liquid because 1) it's salt water, but more importantly 2)
> it's under a few thousand atmospheres of pressure.

I'm ok with 1 (H2O with NaCl is eutectic solution: solidus at -21°C,
liquidus above, at normal pressure, for 23% salt in mass, which is not
the case of the sea water (rather 3 to 4%)), but 2 seems bogus: when
pression increases, the states move from gas to liquid to solid (unless
you are on the diagram part where liquid is gone away... well there is
also a part of high pressure where liquid and gas are not separate...
for high temperatures).