POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copyright Applied For... Huh? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Copyright Applied For... Huh? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: UncleHoot
Subject: Copyright Applied For... Huh?
Date: 30 Jun 2010 14:13:08
Message: <4c2b8934$1@news.povray.org>
I was in Tractor Supply Co. today, and saw a bag of grass seed, like the one
in this picture:
http://www.mutualindustries.com/html/products_new/56-50.jpg.  Right above
the "LAWN and SEED" verbage it says "Copyright Applied For" (granted, it's
impossible to fully read in this picture).

I'm not sure where to start.  Ok, the printed material on the bag is
copyrighted.  No need to apply.  Put the symbol there if you want.  Register
it, if you must.  "Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue" could be trademarked, if they
wanted.  The grass seed, if genetically modified, could be patented (at
least in the USA).

So, what the heck does "Copyright Applied For" mean?  To my knowledge, it
doesn't even make sense.  Ok, I guess they could have decided to register
the copyright for printed bag material, but why?  And why tell everyone?

Perhaps it's just there for effect?  "It sounds cool, so let's put it on the
bag"?  My best guess...

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:14:57 -0400, UncleHoot wrote:

> I was in Tractor Supply Co. today, and saw a bag of grass seed, like the
> one in this picture:
> http://www.mutualindustries.com/html/products_new/56-50.jpg.  Right
> above the "LAWN and SEED" verbage it says "Copyright Applied For"
> (granted, it's impossible to fully read in this picture).
>
> I'm not sure where to start.  Ok, the printed material on the bag is
> copyrighted.  No need to apply.  Put the symbol there if you want.
> Register it, if you must.  "Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue" could be
> trademarked, if they wanted.  The grass seed, if genetically modified,
> could be patented (at least in the USA).
>
> So, what the heck does "Copyright Applied For" mean?  To my knowledge,
> it doesn't even make sense.  Ok, I guess they could have decided to
> register the copyright for printed bag material, but why?  And why tell
> everyone?
>
> Perhaps it's just there for effect?  "It sounds cool, so let's put it on
> the bag"?  My best guess...

In the US, there are two types of copyright:  Implied, and explicit.

Implied copyright is what is applied if no actual official copyright is
registered.

Explicit copyright means that the author/publisher/creator filed a
copyright with the US copyright office.

If you do nothing, you get an implied copyright, but your ability to
enforce your rights as the creator are somewhat more limited than if you
apply for an explicit copyright.  If you file for copyright and then need
to assert it, having it registered means there's a record of the date of
creation of the work.  If it's not registered, then you have to rely on
less formal documentation that could be less compelling in court.

But other than that, I agree with you - it seems silly in this instance.

Jim