POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copyright Applied For... Huh? : Copyright Applied For... Huh? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Copyright Applied For... Huh?
From: UncleHoot
Date: 30 Jun 2010 14:13:08
Message: <4c2b8934$1@news.povray.org>
I was in Tractor Supply Co. today, and saw a bag of grass seed, like the one
in this picture:
http://www.mutualindustries.com/html/products_new/56-50.jpg.  Right above
the "LAWN and SEED" verbage it says "Copyright Applied For" (granted, it's
impossible to fully read in this picture).

I'm not sure where to start.  Ok, the printed material on the bag is
copyrighted.  No need to apply.  Put the symbol there if you want.  Register
it, if you must.  "Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue" could be trademarked, if they
wanted.  The grass seed, if genetically modified, could be patented (at
least in the USA).

So, what the heck does "Copyright Applied For" mean?  To my knowledge, it
doesn't even make sense.  Ok, I guess they could have decided to register
the copyright for printed bag material, but why?  And why tell everyone?

Perhaps it's just there for effect?  "It sounds cool, so let's put it on the
bag"?  My best guess...