POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ReactOS Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  ReactOS (Message 61 to 63 of 63)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: ReactOS
Date: 25 Jun 2010 16:18:59
Message: <4c250f33$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/25/2010 6:39 AM, Mike Raiford wrote:

>>> Sounds like perfect Windows emulation to me!
>>
>> Heheh. What, you mean like this?
>>
>> http://www.slimeland.com/winsim/
>>
>> I would say, Win 3.x was quite reliable (then again, it doesn't *do*
>
> Windows 3.x was stable? LMAO ... back then I only used windows when I
> absolutely had to. Very crash prone.

If you had all the patched dlls, it was. The problem was, you had no way
to "prevent" old ones from being installed, if you installed an older
application than the one you last did, which broke things **badly**, and
no way to tell it was going to, or tell it to not do it. But, if you got
the latest patches, you where generally OK. You just didn't want to
*dare* install anything older after. ;)

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Warp
Date: 26 Jun 2010 14:55:08
Message: <4c264d0c@news.povray.org>
> > If it's a clear cut software-only or algorithm-only with no physical
> > application it will be rejected, in fact you'd be dumb to waste the
> > money trying to apply for a patent, no legal firm would advise you to do
> > this.
> >
> > *But*, if it applies to some physical object that can actually be made,
> > then the algorithm/program *can* be patented.  For example a novel image
> > processing algorithm for improving display quality on a display is fine,
> > or a control program for a crane, that sort of thing.
> >
> > As you can imagine though, there is a huge grey area in the middle, so
> > probably some things get through that wouldn't be enforceable in court.

> That's the same rules we have here in the USA.

  Clearly it isn't. Something like patenting LZW would never happen here.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jun 2010 16:58:17
Message: <4c2669e9@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> That's the same rules we have here in the USA.
>   Clearly it isn't. Something like patenting LZW would never happen here.

Unfortunately, our courts have been acting for a long time as if a computer
with a specific program on it *is* a new device. It's only recently that
they decided that the device has to be "special purpose", and now that's
going to go thru all the courts again.

In other words, it's the same titular rules (at least in terms of software
patents), but the lawyers have managed to argue that they mean something
different. That's why our patents all have wordings like "A method of
turning X into Y by applying this computerized algorithm."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback