POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead (Message 41 to 50 of 75)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
Date: 19 Jun 2010 15:16:08
Message: <4c1d1778$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:53:34 -0600, somebody wrote:

> I don't need to pepper my prose with "I like"s and "I dislike"s and "I
> prefer"s
> and "I think"s to feel secure.

I don't think it's a question of one feeling secure; I think it's a
question of differentiating between facts and opinions.

YMMV, of course.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 21 Jun 2010 17:09:54
Message: <4c1fd522$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> On 6/18/2010 7:56 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
>> There are some who distinguish between sci-fi and science fiction.
>>
>> Science fiction is reserved for those tales in which the author both
>> believes that the science in the story is possible, and is also
>> technically competent enough to know what is possible and what is not.
>
> I thought the distinction was based on literary/artistic merit alone?
> I.e. not on the quality of the "science".

That's a bit too open to debate (and certainly more open to debate than
the fidelity of the science) to be much use in making distinctions.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message