POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too much time on their hands ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Too much time on their hands ... (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Too much time on their hands ...
Date: 26 May 2010 16:56:27
Message: <4bfd8afb$1@news.povray.org>
Someone with far too much time on their hands:

http://goldfish.ikaruga.co.uk/logic.html

Enter mechanical computing. :)

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Subject: Re: Too much time on their hands ...
Date: 27 May 2010 03:01:32
Message: <4bfe18cc$1@news.povray.org>
> Someone with far too much time on their hands:
>
> http://goldfish.ikaruga.co.uk/logic.html
>
> Enter mechanical computing. :)

Imagine how hard you'd have to push if you connected together a handful of
these blocks!

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 27 May 2010 04:55:30
Message: <4bfe3382$1@news.povray.org>
>> Enter mechanical computing. :)

There's nothing wrong with that. Some of the iconic first computers were
mechanical. ;-) (And I don't just mean Babbage's Analytical Engine; go
look up the Zuse Z1 computer.)

> Imagine how hard you'd have to push if you connected together a handful
> of these blocks!

Well, that's just it. The entire assembly is passive, whereas normally
logic gates have their output power derived from a source independent to
the input. (Especially buffers - that's essentially their entire point!)

It's not particularly easy to see how you'd do this with reciprocating
mechanical signals; if you were using continuous rotational motion, it
would be clearer that amplification is possible. (Although it's still
not obvious what the best way to achieve it is...)

Post a reply to this message