POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too much time on their hands ... : Re: Too much time on their hands ... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too much time on their hands ...
From: scott
Date: 27 May 2010 05:37:36
Message: <4bfe3d60$1@news.povray.org>
> The difficulty is comming up with a mechanism which will connect one shaft
> to another if a third shalf is rotating, and disconnect them when it stops
> rotating.

Just get a clutch (like the one in a car) that is controlled by a third
shaft rather than your foot.  The third shaft could just have some masses
attached to it that move outwards when the shaft is rotating, like a
centrifugal speed governor.

> I'm not sure that would work. A rod that's just staying still doesn't
> impart power.

Sorry I didn't explain very well, my idea was that the gates would only
update their state when you pushed the rod.  It would be like a kind of
master clock for every gate.  You could then have something driving the rod
back and to, and the gates would all update on each forward push of the rod.