POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  iPad (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: Darren New
Subject: iPad
Date: 15 May 2010 17:39:18
Message: <4bef1486$1@news.povray.org>
Wow. My dad is having computer problems, so I thought I'd just maybe get him
an iPad, something targeted at the person who turns it on a couple hours a
week. Set him up with 3G for $15/month, and he's good to go.

Except ... there's no backup, the disk is tiny, there's no external storage,
there's no printer connection, no scanner connector, no way to put music on
it without buying it, no way to put music you already bought onto it, ...

It really doesn't look like it's targeted at the casual user. It looks like
it's targeted at people who already have a high-end computer and now want
another one, or something.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid

Post a reply to this message

> no way to put music on it without buying it, no way to put music you
> already bought onto it, ...

You can, but you need a separate computer with iTunes for that.

Post a reply to this message

> You can, but you need a separate computer with iTunes for that.

Well, yes. I'm saying it's not a computer, it's a peripheral. I can't use it
as a replacement computer for someone who is computer illiterate.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid
    you literally shooting yourself in the foot.

Post a reply to this message

> It really doesn't look like it's targeted at the casual user. It looks
like
> it's targeted at people who already have a high-end computer and now want
> another one, or something.

It's a gadget, a glorified i-pod, not a computer. The brilliance of
marketing of Apple is that you have to buy their entire line of hardware,
software and subscription services to be properly funcational fanboy.

Post a reply to this message

> the disk is tiny, there's no external storage,
> there's no printer connection, no scanner connector, no way to put music on
> it without buying it, no way to put music you already bought onto it, ...

  The iPad is not being marketed as a laptop. Why are you expecting it to be?

  Do you buy an XBox360 and expect it to be a PC? There are similarly many
thing that can be done with a PC that cannot be done with an XBox360.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   The iPad is not being marketed as a laptop. Why are you expecting it to be?

To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the iPad *is*
being marketed as. What's it supposed to *do*??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/