POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics research Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Electronics research (Message 45 to 54 of 104)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Electronics research
Date: 20 May 2010 03:56:41
Message: <4bf4eb39$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.05.2010 09:11, schrieb scott:

> Cool - is there also a name for when you connect a tiny speaker to two
> output pins and give one pin a square wave, and the other the inverse of
> the square wave - to make your speaker 2x louder than everyone elses? :-)

That would be differential audio (also frequently but incorrectly
referred to as balanced audio).

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 May 2010 04:06:48
Message: <4bf4ed98$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK, so if I'm understanding this right... The 74126 (go look it up)
>> contains 4 "buffers" - gates who's output is logically equal to their
>> input. But each gate also has an "enable" pin. When the enable pin is
>> high, the gate works like normal. When the enable pin goes low, it's
>> like the output pin isn't connected to anything any more.
>
> Yes exactly.
>
>> And it seems that this allows you to connect several outputs together,
>> forming a kind of wired-OR configuration, provided that at all times
>> only one gate is "enabled".
>
> Yep, you could make a simple address decoder logic circuit (ie have a 2
> bit binary input to select which of the 4 buffers to enable) - that way
> you would guarantee only 1 would be active at a time.  If you were to
> connect a 2-bit counter to the 2-bit address lines you would then have a
> 4-bit parallel to serial converter :-)

I was thinking more about routing bundles of signals from place to
place. The "obvious" thing to do is use logic gates to combine the
signals, but I guess using these weird 3-state systems allows you to
save a few logic gates (and hence ICs, wiring, and ripple time).

Post a reply to this message