POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Prehistoric dust (Message 96 to 105 of 145)
From: Verm
Subject: Re: Dusty
Date: 19 May 2010 10:48:21
Message: <4bf3fa35$1@news.povray.org>
>> Now if I could figure out what a typical MIPS rating for a normal PC
>> today is, I'd have something dissimilar to compare it to. :-}
<snip>
> By running many jobs concurrently we make full use of the machine.  If I could
> port POVRAY to our mainframe, I'm sure it would be slower than most current PCs.
>  But cpu intensive work is not what the mainframe does best.

I've always been tempted to try povray on one of our mainframes even if
it was running from within linux on ZOs.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_zSeries)

Post a reply to this message

From: Clarence1898
Date: 19 May 2010 11:15:01
Message: <web.4bf3ffadecb621eff0b197720@news.povray.org>
Verm <a@b> wrote:
> >> Now if I could figure out what a typical MIPS rating for a normal PC
> >> today is, I'd have something dissimilar to compare it to. :-}
> <snip>
> > By running many jobs concurrently we make full use of the machine.  If I could
> > port POVRAY to our mainframe, I'm sure it would be slower than most current PCs.
> >  But cpu intensive work is not what the mainframe does best.
>
> I've always been tempted to try povray on one of our mainframes even if
> it was running from within linux on ZOs.
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_zSeries)

So have I.  Whenever I get time I would like to install zLinux in a test lpar to
see how well it runs.  Of course the first app I would try to port would be
povray.  Unfortunately getting the spare time is the hard part.  I no sooner get
done with one project and two are stacked in the queue.  Oh well, maybe someday.

Isaac

Post a reply to this message