POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Prehistoric dust (Message 126 to 135 of 145)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Dusty
Date: 20 May 2010 16:31:57
Message: <4bf59c3d@news.povray.org>
On 20/05/2010 6:16 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Interestingly, I don't recall ever seeing a cream telephone box while
>>> walking around Hull...
>>
>> Neither have I but then I’ve only been there for a couple of days
>> about ten years ago.
>
> You'll notice I picked a city that I've actually visited...

Sucker punch :-P

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 May 2010 20:09:48
Message: <4bf5cf4c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I had always assumed that the first computers were like current
> computers, just using relays or whatever instead of transistors, and
> with vastly inferior specifications.

A lot of the theory behind information processing, and especially on
finding the most efficient algorithm to accomplish a specific task,
comes from this era.  When a single clock cycle of computer time costs
enough money to show up on a balance sheet, efficiency in computing
becomes something of interest.

> For that matter, does anybody have a broad timeline of when various
> technologies were in use? What are the dates for things like core
> memory, drum memory, punch cards, magnetic tape, relays, vacuum tubes,
> transistors, ICs, etc?

In the early 80s my high school went and bought a card reader for use in
quickly tallying input from the 2000+ students on things like student
council elections and so forth.  They wanted me to help get the system
going, but I never spent more than an hour or so with it.

The US military had 50s-era cryptologic equipment, using vacuum tubes
and magnetic cores, in active service until the late 80s.  The
transmitter and receiver together took up an entire equipment rack.  It
was widely rumored among Air Force crypto technicians that the designer
of the system had been committed to an insane asylum, and that nobody
else fully understood how it worked.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message