POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  The Babbage Flaw (Message 11 to 20 of 111)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: The Babbage Flaw
Date: 13 May 2010 04:13:02
Message: <4bebb48e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> It's the Microsoft philosophy: Why bother designing a superior product
>> when you can just eliminate all the competing ones?
>
> All (successful) companies work the same way:
>
> A = estimated costs for developing with X man hours of resources
> B = estimated sales income after X man hours of development
>
> Choose X to maximise (B-A)
>
> It's not quite that simple, but you get the idea that after a certain
> point your profit goes *down* the bigger X is.

My point being that other companies work by making a product that is
good enough that people will want to buy it. Microsoft works by
preventing anybody else making anything better.

Post a reply to this message

> My point being that other companies work by making a product that is good
> enough that people will want to buy it. Microsoft works by preventing
> anybody else making anything better.

LOL, have you seen the number of patents and lawsuits between Nokia and
Apple, or Ford and GM, or ... and ...?  It's part of business, MS is not
unique in trying to prevent its competitors making anything better using all
means possible.  You'd go out of business pretty quick if you didn't
(because your competitors are sure as hell going to use those methods on
you).

Post a reply to this message

>> My point being that other companies work by making a product that is
>> good enough that people will want to buy it. Microsoft works by
>> preventing anybody else making anything better.
>
> LOL, have you seen the number of patents and lawsuits between Nokia and
> Apple, or Ford and GM, or ... and ...?  It's part of business, MS is not
> unique in trying to prevent its competitors making anything better using
> all means possible.  You'd go out of business pretty quick if you didn't
> (because your competitors are sure as hell going to use those methods on
> you).

Last time I checked, people buy Nokia phones because they're better
designed than the competition. That's how it's supposed to work.

Nobody buys MS because they like it. They buy MS because there's nothing
else on offer.

Still, there's nothing that anybody can do about it, so I guess we're
just stuck with them forever now.

Post a reply to this message

> > My point being that other companies work by making a product that is good
> > enough that people will want to buy it. Microsoft works by preventing
> > anybody else making anything better.

> LOL, have you seen the number of patents and lawsuits between Nokia and
> Apple, or Ford and GM, or ... and ...?  It's part of business, MS is not
> unique in trying to prevent its competitors making anything better using all
> means possible.

  Patent lawsuits are done to stop others from stealing your technology,
not to stop them from developing their own technology. (Of course this
doesn't mean that patent laws are never abused for this purpose.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message