POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google search Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Google search (Message 20 to 29 of 39)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Google search
Date: 12 May 2010 07:42:59
Message: <4bea9443$1@news.povray.org>
>> Other favourites are spending a day designing something when someone else
>> has already done it
>
> Sounds like either poor communication, or somebody with too much time on
> their hands.

The former, I blame it on the way the departments are set up in the company,
it's like they are all in competition with each other, so information
doesn't get shared very well.  It also doesn't help that everyone thinks
what they are doing is highly confidential and can't even be shared with
another department...

> I suppose some people might argue that's a necessary evil when the
> customer can't make up their mind what they want and yet demand that it
> arrives on time. But I don't know.

Usually we give the customer a design freeze date in order for the first
deliveries to meet their deadline.  This is fine until the customer informs
us of a change a week before the freeze, then we have to tell them that
actually we don't have time now to make that change - things get a bit messy
then.

> Ooo, how about this one: Designing something when you have no spec at all,
> and then writing a spec to match the thing you just designed. You guys
> ever do that one?

Not really, you need to have at least a rough idea of the performance
required before starting design work.  Of course the detail level of spec
varies from customer to customer, but the basics are always there to start
the design work.

Post a reply to this message

>> Sounds like either poor communication, or somebody with too much time
>> on their hands.
>
> The former, I blame it on the way the departments are set up in the
> company, it's like they are all in competition with each other, so

...so all the departments are trying to beat each other and hence
working aginst each other, rather than working together towards a common
goal?

> Usually we give the customer a design freeze date in order for the first
> deliveries to meet their deadline.  This is fine until the customer
> informs us of a change a week before the freeze, then we have to tell
> them that actually we don't have time now to make that change - things
> get a bit messy then.

Shouldn't the freeze date be set far enough forward that it doesn't
matter if they change something the *day* before the freeze?

>> Ooo, how about this one: Designing something when you have no spec at
>> all, and then writing a spec to match the thing you just designed. You
>> guys ever do that one?
>
> Not really, you need to have at least a rough idea of the performance
> required before starting design work.  Of course the detail level of
> spec varies from customer to customer, but the basics are always there
> to start the design work.

Heh. Several of our internal applications where developed this way. The
CEO's nephew sits in a darkened room by himself, decides how the system
is going to work, builds it, checks that it runs, and then we try to
implement it company-wide. That includes writing the design specs so
that they match what Mr Wizzkid actually wrote.

Never mine the *minor detail* that we have written procedures which
prohibit such behaviour and there could as such be legal consequences if
somebody like the FDA or the MHRA found about about this - which they won't.

Still, I guess you can't really do this for an external "customer". If
you invent something off the top of your head and try to sell it to
them, presumably they will suggest that you take a long walk off a short
cliff...

Post a reply to this message