POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tabulation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Tabulation (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Tabulation
Date: 6 May 2010 11:36:29
Message: <4be2e1fd$1@news.povray.org>
>> Now all I need to do is stare at 20,000 benchmarks and slowly go mad...
>
> Tcch where are the frequency ranges and the L3 cache sizes?

The main point of interest is which motherboard to get.

A board with dual-channel RAM costs about £65+, whereas for
triple-channel RAM it's £145+. Slight difference there. I also want to
know how many cores I'm getting. Other than that, processors come and
go; if you've got the right board, you can change CPU later. But get the
wrong board and you've got a problem...

In some respects, the i3/i5/i7 is a nice idea. But when the i7 is
available in two different socket configurations, suddenly you *do* have
to care whether it's Lynnfield, Bloomfield or Gulftown. (Although
frankly, if it's Gulftown, you can obviously afford to buy three
motherboards of each kind anyway because you have *far* more money than
sense!)

> I know the feeling though as DaBoss is throwing in the towel with
> Windows and PC's and wants to go down the dominatrix route with Apple.

You've got to admit, it *is* shiny.

I was almost tempted by a PowerMac with it's two quad-core Xeons. (Until
I saw the price, obviously.)

> So i7 or i5 processor, which ones are they using - doesn't say.

I would guess it's Core 2 rather than Core i7 or Core i5.

> Well how many cores does it have - doesn't say.

If it's a laptop, you can almost guarantee it's dual-core. Remember that
"mobile" CPUs are different to desktop ones; few quad-core mobile CPUs
currently exist, AFAIK.

> Okay something simple, he
> complains about the weight of his laptop so roughly how much does each
> 'size' weigh - doesn't say.

Now that I would have thought would be documented somewhere...

How heavy is "too much" though? ;-)

Post a reply to this message