POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Photoshop CS5 (Message 125 to 134 of 154)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Photoshop CS5
Date: 6 May 2010 17:09:19
Message: <4be32fff@news.povray.org>
"Fredrik Eriksson" <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
> On Thu, 06 May 2010 00:24:07 +0200, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>
>> Second, if you're talking about the ISO setting rather than the
>> exposure, that's about how much you pre-bias the electrons in the
>> sensor. Basically, you load up each pixel of the sensor with some
>> electrons, and if light kicks out an electron, you add one to the
>> intensity of the light there. Adding more electrons makes it easier to
>> get kicked out.
>
> No, there is no pre-bias; that is not how the sensors work. The ISO
> setting only affects amplification of the analogue sensor output.

There you go. So if you have the raw sensor output, you can change the ISO
setting after the fact?

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 6 May 2010 17:10:26
Message: <4be33042@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> On Thu, 06 May 2010 00:56:35 +0200, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've actually wondered this myself - raw editing software gives you the
>> option to adjust the exposure; obviously, you can't pull details out
>> doing this that are completely washed out or completely underexposed, but
>> it is possible to bring additional detail out by making changes to the
>> exposure setting (ev) after the photo has been taken.
>>
>> I've done it, so clearly it's possible, I just don't understand the math
>> behind it.
>
> When the camera creates a JPEG file, part of the raw data is discarded and
> the rest is then adjusted to fit in the 0-255 range. The camera picks a
> black-point somewhere near the low end of the (raw) range, and all values
> below that are made black (i.e. 0) in the JPEG. Similarly, a white-point
> is selected, and all values above that are made white (i.e. 255). When you
> edit a RAW file, you have access to the parts that would otherwise have
> been cut off. If the exposure was somewhat less than perfect, there can be
> useful data in those parts.

In other words, the RAW format gets you High Dynamic Range.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 6 May 2010 17:11:36
Message: <4be33088$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> However pros use the raw sensor data from the camera and not a JPEG.
>> This allows them some margin to adjust the exposure later without adding
>> any artifacts to the final JPEG image they create.  Because of this it
>> is extremely important not to saturate the sensor (ie 100% white) in any
>> areas, it is impossible to get back detail in areas that are at 100%.
>> If you under-expose it you can scale up the brightness without
>> introducing artifacts (because usually the raw sensor data is higher bit
>> depth than JPEG).
>
> ...in other words, you're not changing the exposure (i.e., the number of
> seconds that the shutter opens) at all, you're simulating it.

In consumer cameras that show the image on the LCD screen all the time,
there is no "shutter opening for N milliseconds". The sensor is getting
light all the time.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 06 May 2010 23:09:18 +0200, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Fredrik Eriksson" <fe79}--at--{yahoo}--dot--{com> wrote:
>> No, there is no pre-bias; that is not how the sensors work. The ISO
>> setting only affects amplification of the analogue sensor output.
>
> There you go. So if you have the raw sensor output, you can change the
> ISO setting after the fact?

Not quite. The amplification controlled by the ISO setting occurs before
A/D conversion. By applying amplification to the raw data (i.e. after A/D
conversion), you also amplify any noise introduced by the A/D process. The
result is similar, but slightly worse.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 06 May 2010 23:10:25 +0200, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> In other words, the RAW format gets you High Dynamic Range.

Sort of. Higher than what you get from a JPEG anyway. Not what is usually
referred to as HDR though.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message