POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Bl**dy election (part 2) (Message 141 to 150 of 365)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
Date: 2 May 2010 17:16:09
Message: <4bddeb99@news.povray.org>
On 02/05/2010 9:34 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Well, yes. I was using "mexicans" to mean "people who look mexican" in
> that sentence.  Since I already pointed out that your immigration status
> can change based on factors completely irrelevant to your appearance, I
> figured that was already understood.

I know, I thought that I was supporting your argument by playing Devil’s
Advocate.

I’ll tell you something. This Friday I get Dr John so drunk that he will
regret starting this thread.

Or die trying.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 2 May 2010 17:20:05
Message: <4BDDEC7A.5060702@gmail.com>
On 2-5-2010 23:01, Warp wrote:

[ignoring darren's possible slip]
>   Now you are not arguing only against me, but against the law of Finland.
> Random sobriety tests are a common practice here, and nobody is complaining.

I assume random here means at a random place and then checking everybody.
Actually also one of the tools the police here use for finding  illegal
immigrants: Going into a workplace and asking everybody their papers
(and there should be a copy at the employer).

Border control might even be a better counterexample, because racial
profiling is definitely used there*. Then again, you could argue that it
is more effective this way. I haven't done the math for this case.

*) I have some colleagues that you should not be in line behind when
going to the states. They will be picked out of the line for
questioning** and you too because they want to hide the fact that they
only pick out Arab looking people.

**) One of the better openings to ensure a long stay with the border
control guys: After the general opening: 'what do you do for work?'
answering 'I research drugs that cause sudden death'. From an Iranian
that was born in Afghanistan.

Post a reply to this message