POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Sneakernet (Message 25 to 34 of 44)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Sneakernet
Date: 30 Apr 2010 11:56:36
Message: <4bdafdb4$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I wonder... What's the bandwidth of a punch-card reader/writer?

Readers ran somewhere between 100 and 150 cards per minute, depending on how
much you paid for them. Roughly 80 bytes per card.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Paul Fuller
Date: 30 Apr 2010 12:17:59
Message: <4bdb02b7$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/05/2010 12:07 AM, Invisible wrote:
> I wonder... What's the bandwidth of a punch-card reader/writer?

Good question but I'm afraid I don't know off hand.

Suppose an 80 column card with 10 bits/column.  That is 800 bits per
card.  Maybe 20 cards per second through a reader ?  Could be higher
since those things were really impressive bits of engineering.

Something like 16K bps ?

Now cards were not generally used for arbitrary data.  For example in
many cases cols 73-80 were used for card sequence numbers.  Data was
often characters so only 6 or 7 bits of variability for most characters.
  Then the readers have to be fed.

Post a reply to this message