POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling (Message 1 to 10 of 216)
From: Invisible
Subject: Baffling
Date: 26 Apr 2010 04:19:46
Message: <4bd54ca2$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.xkcd.com/732/

This puzzles me too.

I mean, if you're going to force everybody to buy a new TV, new
receiver, new type of disk and a new machine to play it, why it increase
the resolution *significantly*? Why only increase it by a small amount?
I don't understand that.

(And hell, half the equipment and content that says "HD" on it isn't
even full resolution anyway... Why allow half a dozen resolutions when
it would have been far simpler for the designers and less misleading for
the public if they allow only one resolution?)

Hell, when I was at uni ten years ago we had computers exceeding these
resolutions. With Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4. Has technology not
moved on since then? It's not like there's any technical challenge to
using a higher resolution, after all...

PS. I am similarly baffled by the current fashion for "widescreen" TVs.
Given that 99.998% of all video content ever created is in 4:3 aspect,
what the hell is the advantage of buying a TV with a 16:9 aspect?? I
don't understand.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:19:45 +0200, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> I mean, if you're going to force everybody to buy a new TV, new
> receiver, new type of disk and a new machine to play it, why it increase
> the resolution *significantly*? Why only increase it by a small amount?
> I don't understand that.

Cost, both for producing the TV and for producing the content.

> (And hell, half the equipment and content that says "HD" on it isn't
> even full resolution anyway... Why allow half a dozen resolutions when
> it would have been far simpler for the designers and less misleading for
> the public if they allow only one resolution?)

Again, cost.

> Hell, when I was at uni ten years ago we had computers exceeding these
> resolutions. With Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4. Has technology not
> moved on since then? It's not like there's any technical challenge to
> using a higher resolution, after all...

Did you have a 40" computer monitor ten years ago? How much did it cost?

> PS. I am similarly baffled by the current fashion for "widescreen" TVs.
> Given that 99.998% of all video content ever created is in 4:3 aspect,
> what the hell is the advantage of buying a TV with a 16:9 aspect?? I
> don't understand.

I take it you have never watched a movie then.

Also, cost. Moving to widescreen -- while maintaining the same diagonal
length -- reduces the panel area.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message