POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Apr 2010 05:34:51
Message: <4bd55e3b$1@news.povray.org>
>> I mean, if you're going to force everybody to buy a new TV, new
>> receiver, new type of disk and a new machine to play it, why it increase
>> the resolution *significantly*? Why only increase it by a small amount?
>
> Bandwidth. Your LCD is connected to your computer by a 4 foot cable that
> carries a single "channel". Now think about the number of channels and the
> distances involved in broadcast TV.

My monitor is connected via an analogue (or, if I'm lucky, uncompressed
digital) link. Video signals tend to be highly compressible. Indeed, at
higher resolutions the data may even become *easier* to compress.

But sure, I guess if you're trying to transmit stuff, there is only
finite bandwidth to work with. You'd think all this would be less
problematic for playback from disk though...

On the other hand, greating a succession of slightly higher resolution
platforms gives manufacturers a way to charge you more money as you
constantly upgrade all your equipment. :-P