POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling (Message 51 to 60 of 216)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Baffling
Date: 26 Apr 2010 11:25:32
Message: <4bd5b06c@news.povray.org>
On 4/26/2010 8:28 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> Maybe the fact that Windows is not good at scaling has meant that
>> making a 150 or 200 dpi monitor that is used from "desktop" viewing
>> distances would be impossible to use due to the tiny physical size of
>> the fonts and other GUI items?
>
> Plausible.
>
>> I was running it for a while on my laptop with a non-standard dpi
>> setting. On the whole Windows and Office was fine, but IIRC my CAD
>> software screwed up, with some buttons being shifted outside of the
>> window so you couldn't get to them!
>
> Haha! And I bet that CAD software was the most expensive thing on the
> whole PC, by a mile... ;-)

That's the biggest part of the problem out there, many apps were written
without regard to a higher DPI setting, and do some wacky things if
they're used with a higher DPI. I think Windows 7 has some compatibility
settings somewhere to help alleviate some of these issues. So, high-dpi
display may be coming soon.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message