POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling (Message 157 to 166 of 216)
From: Phil Cook v2
Subject: Re: Baffling
Date: 28 Apr 2010 10:23:18
Message: <op.vbvl86jrmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:53:51 +0200, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake thusly:

>> My dad wired it himself. ;-)
>>
>> (As in, he literally chiselled out chunks of wall and then plastered it
>> over again.)
>
> Before they came up with cavity wall insulation you could just drop your
> cables down between the inner and outer brickwork, drill a hole through
> the wall where you want the socket, use the old bent-tape-measure trick
> to grab the cable and wire it up to a socket.  Job done.

Pah bent-tape-measure, professionals use ferrets :-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Apr 2010 10:54:17
Message: <4bd84c19@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> On 4/27/2010 4:12 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
>
>> Government regulators, for whom being safe is generally more important
>> than being right, had a major role in the determination of the standard.
>> The standard had to allow for broadcast within a strictly-defined
>> frequency band, and this limit was chosen based on technology that is
>> now ready for deployment to your local museum, because these decisions
>> were made years ago.
>>
>> If I am remembering things correctly, there was even some insistence
>> that the signal be displayable by sets designed for the old broadcast
>> standard. If that sounds thinking-impaired, well, that's the FCC for you.
>
> kind of like how NTSC color was kludged on top of the existing black and
> white broadcast signal in the name of backwards compatibility?

Isn't "NTSC color" like "ATM machine"?

Oh wait, "Never Twice Same Color" is not the official acronym meaning? :)

Post a reply to this message