POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling (Message 107 to 116 of 216)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Baffling
Date: 27 Apr 2010 03:21:47
Message: <4bd6908b@news.povray.org>
>  Digital TV could have benefited from using MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2, but
> it didn't. It's a bummer.

It's ok, it's changing.  All HDTV channels are compressed with MPEG-4 (in
the UK and Germany at least) so I suspect eventually the MPEG-2 compressed
channels will be gone.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 27 Apr 2010 03:51:44
Message: <4bd69790$1@news.povray.org>
>  Not to talk about contrast...

Depends on the ambient light levels whether LCD or CRT offers better
contrast.  Certainly in office environments (that are usually well it) LCD
has higher contrast.  In dark rooms CRT is better, but the gap is
continually closing.

>  Also, CRTs could be looked at from about any direction and it would
> always look exactly as good. Only in the last few years LCDs are
> *approaching* that (many still have problems when viewed from above
> or below).

Indeed, it's down to the LC mode used and obviously cost.  Cheap laptop/PC
monitors are not designed to be viewing from any angle other than
perpendicular, but a good TV will look the same from all angles (including
up/down) - it has been that way for many years.

Post a reply to this message