POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All bow to the mighty Python Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  All bow to the mighty Python (Message 1 to 10 of 84)
From: nemesis
Subject: All bow to the mighty Python
Date: 20 Apr 2010 06:39:00
Message: <4bcd8444$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.itworld.com/government/105031/will-wall-street-require-python

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: All bow to the mighty Python
Date: 20 Apr 2010 06:52:11
Message: <4bcd875b@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> http://www.itworld.com/government/105031/will-wall-street-require-python

  Python must have the most idiotic block delimiter in the history of
programming languages: Whitespace indentation.

  Why is it idiotic? Because whitespace is the one thing which gets most
easily and regularly lost in communication.

  For example, someone might ask some question about Python in a forum or
blog post, and then someone might answer it with some Python code... and
the blog/forum software removes whitespaces from the beginning of lines,
completely changing the meaning of the program and making it inoperable.
There are also many other situations where whitespaces at the beginning
of lines might not be preserved (or might be changed somehow).

  Also autoindentation of Python code is a physical impossibility.

  The person who thought that it's a good idea to have indentation as
block delimiters should be shot.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   The person who thought that it's a good idea to have indentation as
> block delimiters should be shot.

I'll go find out which member of the Haskell committee decided to do this...

Post a reply to this message

>   For example, someone might ask some question about Python in a forum or
> blog post, and then someone might answer it with some Python code... and
> *the blog/forum software removes whitespaces* from the beginning of lines,
> completely changing the meaning of the program and making it inoperable.

well, at least you recognize it's not Python's fault. ;)