POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Context switching (Message 173 to 182 of 222)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Context switching
Date: 23 Apr 2010 01:26:19
Message: <4bd12f7b@news.povray.org>
On 22/04/2010 10:32 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:28:57 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/2010 9:02 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently not.  Dunno the current state, as I don't use Windows...
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Your lighting bill must be huge ;-)
>
> :P
>
> Not so much, though, I prefer the darkness generally. ;-)

Have you checked your reflection in a mirror, lately?

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Apr 2010 04:04:37
Message: <4bd15495$1@news.povray.org>
>> Is there some advantage to supporting regular expressions?
>
> Yes, because if you don't know the exact string you're looking for, you
> can specify a more general string that is likely to be found.

Surely this almost never actually works though?

> I use it several times a week myself, reasons include chat log files in
> my IM client where I might need to find a conversation I've had in the
> past about something.  I recently was trying to remember the name of an
> internal website, but I couldn't remember who I had talked to about it or
> the website name.  I was able to use grep to find what I needed in a
> matter of seconds without searching (checks - "find -type f | wc -l" -
> 8694 chat log files across all the different IM protocols I use).
>
> Doing that by hand would be very tedious and would take days, and even
> then, I might not find what I was looking for.

As I say, not the kind of thing I ever need to do. (Although
occasionally I wish it was possible to search this newsgroup...)

>>> As Warp said, you also can traverse a directory structure with grep to
>>> find the file(s) that have the string in them.
>> I didn't know that. I thought grep was just for searching within one
>> file.
>
> If I tell you the 'net is wonderful resource for information, what will
> you say in response?  ;-)

Suffice it to say that since I don't need grep, I hadn't deeply
researched its capabilities. (I only recently discovered that it's a
search tool, for example.)

Post a reply to this message