POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Apr 2010 04:15:43
Message: <4bd1572f@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, well, I had noticed that you seem to know far more about COM
>> than I do.
>
> Not *that* much. Maybe a half a day's worth of learning?

Heh. I've spent somewhat more than half a day reading about it. What
I'll probably never do is actually use it...

>>> Which implementation do you use?
>> Smalltalk VisualWorks. I *think* it was v3.0...
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/documentation/current/ReleaseNotes7.5.pdf
>
> They were up to a version that supports it (7.5) five years ago. You
> were working with V3.0.  Perhaps you were using a pre-COM version that
> wouldn't run under Win98 or something?

No, we were running it under Windows 98. I guess the release we had just
didn't have COM support implemented yet. (Remember that Smalltalk is
basically its own little world. Talking to stuff outside probably isn't
a high priority.)

I recall having a look at v5 (I think) at some point, and while they'd
added lots of nice features, they made the system too complicated. I
didn't like it, so I went back to v3.

>>> Plus, you probably use Word and Excel, and they both support COM too.
>> You mean VBA supports COM?
>
> How do you think VBA talks to the application?  Of course it supports
> COM. That's pretty much *all* it supports. It doesn't really do anything
> on its own.

Well, I guess that makes sense.

On the other hand, VBA doesn't seem to require you to memorise 20-digit
GUIDs or interface index numbers or any of the other stuff that the COM
documentation seems to indicate is necessary, so...?