POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Internet frustrations (Message 21 to 29 of 29)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Internet frustrations
Date: 17 Apr 2010 13:42:31
Message: <4bc9f307$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:27:38 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> John VanSickle wrote:
>
>>> - Network installers.
>>
>> Or I have to install it on that machine over there, which for perfectly
>> valid reasons has no network connectivity at all.
>
> Yes, that too. (Although in my case, the "valid reason" is usually "I
> can't get Linux to believe me that a NIC exists"...)

Is it a NIC that is supported?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2010 14:20:37
Message: <4bc9fbf5@news.povray.org>
>> I should point out that MathReader is simply Mathematica with a few
>> features turned off. The "development costs" should be minimal. (They
>> probably spend more on testing it to make sure the requisit features
>> really are switched off...) But sure, it's a cost analysis.
>
> Part of that cost analysis, then, is what amount of revenue is likely to
> be lost when (not if) someone figures out how to unlock the full product
> features and posts it on the Internet.  If it truly is Mathematica with a
> few features turned off.

Well, I would guess that they probably "turn off" this stuff by omitting
the code necessary to do it for the most part. That way the download is
smaller, and to "turn on" these features again would require basically
reimplementing them.

Then again, I'm no expert. I don't know how exactly they did it. (It's
something like a 100 MB download.)

>> (Actually MathReader *is* free - it's just that you have to jump through
>> hoops to get at it. But it doesn't cost any actual money, no.)
>
> The hoops probably (I haven't looked) involve you giving them something
> of value - like your contact information so they can market to you.

Oh yeah, you gotta give them a whole load of personal data. Plus the
installer scans your PC and generates a hash code based on your
hardware, and you have to send this code to get the license key. So
they're determined that you should only install this program on *one*
PC. (Which seems somewhat counter-productive to me... I mean, it's not
like they gain anything by making it harder to install on several PCs.)

> See?  You pay something, just because it isn't money, doesn't mean what
> you offer them in exchange has no value.

Heh. Not "what you offer" but rather "what they demand". ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> Or I have to install it on that machine over there, which for perfectly
>>> valid reasons has no network connectivity at all.
>> Yes, that too. (Although in my case, the "valid reason" is usually "I
>> can't get Linux to believe me that a NIC exists"...)
>
> Is it a NIC that is supported?

Define "supported".

It tends not to be a problem these days. But for example, when I first
set up my shiny new socket-939 board with the brand new nForce-4
chipset, none of the distros I tried could handle the SATA controller or
either of the two NICs.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:20:40 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> I should point out that MathReader is simply Mathematica with a few
>>> features turned off. The "development costs" should be minimal. (They
>>> probably spend more on testing it to make sure the requisit features
>>> really are switched off...) But sure, it's a cost analysis.
>>
>> Part of that cost analysis, then, is what amount of revenue is likely
>> to be lost when (not if) someone figures out how to unlock the full
>> product features and posts it on the Internet.  If it truly is
>> Mathematica with a few features turned off.
>
> Well, I would guess that they probably "turn off" this stuff by omitting
> the code necessary to do it for the most part. That way the download is
> smaller, and to "turn on" these features again would require basically
> reimplementing them.

Perhaps; some eval software (which this *could* be seen as) has stuff
just "turned off", while others have elements ripped out.  Ripping out
bits, though, requires more work and regression test - especially for
gratis software, since you don't want to leave the prospective customer
with a bad impression.

> Then again, I'm no expert. I don't know how exactly they did it. (It's
> something like a 100 MB download.)

It's always hard to know for sure unless you have access to the code,
that's for certain.

>>> (Actually MathReader *is* free - it's just that you have to jump
>>> through hoops to get at it. But it doesn't cost any actual money, no.)
>>
>> The hoops probably (I haven't looked) involve you giving them something
>> of value - like your contact information so they can market to you.
>
> Oh yeah, you gotta give them a whole load of personal data. Plus the
> installer scans your PC and generates a hash code based on your
> hardware, and you have to send this code to get the license key. So
> they're determined that you should only install this program on *one*
> PC. (Which seems somewhat counter-productive to me... I mean, it's not
> like they gain anything by making it harder to install on several PCs.)

If that's the case, then they've done a fair amount to identify the value
of that to them.

>> See?  You pay something, just because it isn't money, doesn't mean what
>> you offer them in exchange has no value.
>
> Heh. Not "what you offer" but rather "what they demand". ;-)

Well, no, you "offer" it in exchange for the goods or services.  If you
don't offer it, then you don't get the goods or services.

Jim

Post a reply to this message