POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet frustrations : Re: Internet frustrations Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet frustrations
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Apr 2010 14:35:51
Message: <4bc9ff87$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:22:49 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Yes, that too. (Although in my case, the "valid reason" is usually "I
>>> can't get Linux to believe me that a NIC exists"...)
>>
>> Is it a NIC that is supported?
>
> Define "supported".

One that a driver is provided for and that has been verified to work.

> It tends not to be a problem these days. But for example, when I first
> set up my shiny new socket-939 board with the brand new nForce-4
> chipset, none of the distros I tried could handle the SATA controller or
> either of the two NICs.

I've got a system with an nForce chipset, but I'm not sure which; newer
hardware sometimes isn't supported right away when the specs change and
aren't shared with the kernel devs, though; the wireless card in this
machine (it's the one I'm using, actually) doesn't work well with Linux,
but it's not important to me because the system is right under my
ethernet switch and has a functioning ethernet card in it.

The wireless *works*, but after a few minutes of serving up data, it
starts doing something (not sure what, haven't diagnosed it) that kills
my access point completely.

But when I first installed Linux on it, the card wasn't even recognized
because it was so new.

So it has improved.