POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows XP VM Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Windows XP VM (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Windows XP VM
Date: 21 Mar 2010 11:59:10
Message: <4ba6424e$1@news.povray.org>
Does anybody know of a way I can legally create a Windows XP VM?

Legally, you're supposed to purchase a seperate license for a VM, just
like for a PM. But here's the twist - Microsoft *no longer sell* Windows
XP, and it is therefore impossible to buy licenses for it. So...??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Does anybody know of a way I can legally create a Windows XP VM?
>
> Legally, you're supposed to purchase a seperate license for a VM, just
> like for a PM. But here's the twist - Microsoft *no longer sell* Windows
> XP, and it is therefore impossible to buy licenses for it. So...??

1. Invent time-travel device
2. Use time-travel device to go back in time to when MS still sold it
and get legal copy
3. ???
4. Profit!

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

>> Does anybody know of a way I can legally create a Windows XP VM?
>>
>> Legally, you're supposed to purchase a seperate license for a VM, just
>> like for a PM. But here's the twist - Microsoft *no longer sell* Windows
>> XP, and it is therefore impossible to buy licenses for it. So...??
>
> 1. Invent time-travel device
> 2. Use time-travel device to go back in time to when MS still sold it and
> get legal copy
> 3. ???
> 4. Profit!

Or you could just buy it online for ~$10.

Post a reply to this message

>> 2. Use time-travel device to go back in time to when MS still sold it
>> and get legal copy
>> 3. ???
>> 4. Profit!
>
> Or you could just buy it online for ~$10.

What, a time-travel device? Or a Windows XP VM?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On 3/21/2010 2:00 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> 1. Invent time-travel device
>>> 2. Use time-travel device to go back in time to when MS still sold it
>>> and get legal copy
>>> 3. ???
>>> 4. Profit!
>>
>> Or you could just buy it online for ~$10.
>
> What, a time-travel device? Or a Windows XP VM?

Probably both, though the level of functionality of either is
questionable. ;) lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Mar 2010 18:55:05
Message: <4ba6a3c9$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Does anybody know of a way I can legally create a Windows XP VM?

Install a version that requires activation. Say "I don't have a license."
Activate it? :-)

Hit up ebay to buy a license from someone who bough
t it bulk and didn't need it all?
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling togeher,

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 22 Mar 2010 03:33:20
Message: <4ba71d40$1@news.povray.org>
> Legally, you're supposed to purchase a seperate license for a VM, just
> like for a PM. But here's the twist - Microsoft *no longer sell* Windows
> XP,

Amazon seems to still sell it, if you actually need the media and a license.
And as Darren says, can't you buy it from within Windows after you've
installed it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Paul Fuller
Date: 22 Mar 2010 05:06:03
Message: <4ba732fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/03/2010 2:59 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Does anybody know of a way I can legally create a Windows XP VM?
>
> Legally, you're supposed to purchase a seperate license for a VM, just
> like for a PM. But here's the twist - Microsoft *no longer sell* Windows
> XP, and it is therefore impossible to buy licenses for it. So...??

Windows 7 includes a Windows XP VM license.  Works perfectly as far as I
have tested it.  Performance is OK but not quite as good as native.

Will that will satisfy your requirement?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 24 Mar 2010 20:59:06
Message: <4baab55a@news.povray.org>
>> Or you could just buy it online for ~$10.
>
> What, a time-travel device? Or a Windows XP VM?

Not from MS of course, since they stopped selling it.
http://www.google.com/products?q=windows+xp+pro&hl=en&scoring=p

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Mar 2010 08:09:41
Message: <4badf585$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Install a version that requires activation. Say "I don't have a
> license." Activate it? :-)

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. It lets you type in a license code,
and if it doesn't like it, it says "call this number". There is no
option to *buy* a license code (which would mean effectively admitting
that you're already in possession of something which is illegal).

> Hit up ebay to buy a license from someone who bought it bulk and didn't need it all?

I was under the impression that anything sold on ebay that isn't a
physical object has a 98% chance of being illegal.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/